“U-Hak SoNyeo” Students Share Concerns Over Racial Discrimination In K-Pop - KPOP NEWS

“U-Hak SoNyeo” Students Share Concerns Over Racial Discrimination In K-Pop

On a recent episode of Mnet‘s U-Hak SoNyeo, the global students got together with Ha Sungwoon and talked about the concerns they had about becoming a K-Pop idol.

Luna, a cast member from Poland, confessed that while she wished she could become a K-Pop idol, she thinks it would not be seen as well because she is not Asian.

Your browser does not support video.

I’m overthinking a lot. Cause I wish I could be a K-Pop idol but I think it wouldn’t be seen very well because I’m not Asian.

ㅡ Luna

Even during an interview with the program staff, when she was asked how she would feel if she was offered a contract to become a trainee, she stated that she would be extremely happy, but would need to think about it.

Your browser does not support video.

I would be very happy, but still I would need to think a lot about it because I don’t think that it would be well seen in Korea, someone who’s not Asian to become an idol.

ㅡ Luna

Another cast member, Maria, who is from the United States also agreed and shared the hurtful experiences that she encountered in Korea.

Your browser does not support video.

In a foreigner’s perspective, I think most think that it’s better not to be a K-Pop singer if you’re not Asian. When I came out on I Can See Your Voice, I often heard things like go back to America.

ㅡ Maria

In response to the girls’ concerns, Ha Sungwoon empathized with them and shared his own story.

Your browser does not support video.

I also was rejected in numerous auditions, didn’t have an agency when I was 20 years old and at the time, my height was a big hindrance. But even if my height didn’t fit the standards, if I had spectacular skills, it would’ve been fine, but I didn’t have that either.

ㅡ Ha Sungwoon

Despite his unfavorable circumstances, however, Sunghoon explained that he consistently made an effort to better himself with a firm belief that he would also one day be given a chance.

Your browser does not support video.

Instead, I focused on practicing a lot and improving myself. I believed I would receive an opportunity one day. Then one day, I received that opportunity. It was Produce 101 and I learned even more things after appearing on the show.

ㅡ Ha Sungwoon

He concluded by stating that he was so happy he didn’t give up in the middle and encouraged the girls not to give up either.

Your browser does not support video.

I was so happy I didn’t give up. So, you cannot give up.

ㅡ Ha Sungwoon

Thanks to their senior’s thoughtful advice, the girls seemed to be encouraged and comforted as well. Watch the full clip below:

Source: Dispatch

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.